Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Turkey Trot

in my continued pursuit of all things "special" that I'm paying forward via this blog...

I have a good laugh to share.

I went to Paso Robles, CA this past weekend for the annual wine festival with a dear friend of mine... we always have unbelievable adventures together and this one proved to be the same. I knew the adventure was already starting when I missed my turn off of the freeway exit and took a side country road to make my way back toward the hotel. As I took my Civic through the rough, partially-paved road that was under construction, I noticed some on-coming traffic.

It was a wild turkey jogging on the side of the road.

I grew up in a small desert town full of wildlife. I'm used to wildlife. In fact, I love it (well, most of it). However, the wildlife I'm used to seeing is typically in survival mode--you know, running away from humans, killing other wild things in the food chain, etc. But, I've NEVER seen wildlife going for a jog along the side of a road for what seemed to be recreational purposes. It brought a whole new meaning to those little 5k races people do during Thanksgiving for charity-- the turkey trots. This turkey WAS trotting! He was in no rush, just out for a light afternoon jog to burn some calories, no big deal. The only thing he was missing was a sweatband and an ipod.

Oh, and that dear friend of mine? Hilarious as ever. She pointed out the turkey was probably just stuffed and needed to work out. ;o)

I promise this all happened BEFORE we even touched a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment