Saturday, May 30, 2009

Man vs. Bee

Did you know there's a bee problem going on?

So, I don't want to put effort into finding the sources to back this up, but apparently, bees are responsible for over 60% of all of the food in the world. That's a lot. For conversation's sake, just trust me on it.

On top of that, the bees are dying off!! I guess all the pesticides get to them and people unknowingly kill them thinking they're wasps. Wasps are not bees. Honeybees are good and vegetarians. Wasps are omnivores (so are pigs- meat, veggies, poo... whatevs, they'll eat it all!). Last week, my nephew informed me that we should never kill honeybees because they're good, but we should kill wasps because they're mean. Good enough reason for me.

If the bee problem doesn't turn around, "the experts" say the world will have a major food shortage to deal with.

********************************************************************************
Fast forward to this week.

Well, all of these juicy morsels of random, unconfirmed, bee data finally came to use when a person at work said they had a bunch of bees in her yard. She took a picture and I knew right away she had a honeybee swarm. It was pretty nasty looking. I don't care if they're saving the world from going hungry by pollinating everything... bees en masse are gross. I felt itchy all over just looking at the photo.

Anyway, she was considering the exterminator when I exclaimed, "NO!! There's a bee problem!!!" I continued by sharing all of these little factoids with her and ended up convincing her to get a beekeeper to come and take them away.

The bees live. The beekeeper gets honey and can rent the bees to farmers for pollination. She removes the bees from her yard. All is happy in the world...

Humans: 1 point
Animal Kingdom: 1 point

No comments:

Post a Comment